FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Q. WHAT ARE LAMBO DOORS AND HOW DO THEY WORK?
A. Lambo doors, also known as "scissor doors", get their name from the car they are most closely associated with, the Lamborghini. Lambo is short for Lamborghini, and these doors were used on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo and Murcielago models. Scissor doors are so called because instead of opening out like a traditional car door, they open upward, pivoting at the front of the door just behind the fender, just like the blade of a scissors. Read the article by MICHAEL GRAYEN from Car ID HERE
Q. What is the difference between a Lambo Door and a ZLR Door Conversion Kit?
Q. Does the VDC kit replace my doors?
A. No it does not replace your doors. It only replaces your door hinges. You keep your original doors.
Q. How does the VDC kit function?
A. When inside you will grab the door handle of the car. Pushing the door away from you the door will open 12 - 18 inches like they do normally. From there the door will stop and not open horizontally any further. Once done you will now grab the bottom of the door and lift vertically. The door will then reach a certain point which it will not lift anymore. At this point you will be able to get in and out of the vehicle. In normal case the bottom back portion of the door will be higher than the roof of the vehicle.
When outside you will grab the door handle of the car. Pulling the door toward you the door will open 12 - 18 inches like they do normally. From there the door will stop and not open horizontally any further. Once done you will now grab the edge of the door and lift vertically. The door will then reach a pre-determined point at which it will not lift anymore. At this point you will be able to get in and out of the vehicle. In normal case the bottom back portion of the door will be higher than the roof of the vehicle.
Q. What is the normal installation process?
A. Basic installation:
1) Disconnect the battery.
2) Remove fender
3) Make sure to remove door catch if equipped.
4) Usually you will need to more wire slack: Usually you will need to remove the door panel or kick plate. Do not cut your factory wires unless you have no other choice.
Use 2” painters tape to mark the factory door location on the vertical and horizontal planes. Also measure the distance between the apron and front edge of the door by the top and bottom hinge.
5) Close the door and use 2" painters tape to secure the door to the body of the car.
6) Install new Lambo Door kit, make sure you have a flat surface if not you may need to modify your apron.
7) Make fine tuning adjustments and make sure all pivot points are greased. Installed the shock.
***DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF TOOLS ON THE BODY OR SHAFT OF THE SHOCK***
Note: Do not install fender until the adjustment of the door is accurate. Also make sure everything is tight, adjustment is set and everything is Locktite.
8) Modify factory wire loom: In order to be able to open and raise the door, cut the factory wire boot in half and add wire loom to protect exposed wires.
9) Cut the inner lip of your fender to make room for the new Lambo Door kit. Note: Cut only enough for the swing arm to move freely, after you have cut the fender use a sander or grinder and make sure the surface is completely smooth. Use touch up paint to protect the expose material and to give it a finish look.
Close the door and reinstall the Fender.
In you have any questions please do not hesitate to give us a call.
It is as simple as that.
Q. Why Can't I compress the Shocks with my hands?
A. The shock have 450Lbs - 800Lbs of Pressure per Square inch. They will not compress untill you install the hinge on the car and the shocks on the hinge, the weight of the door will compress the shocks. Each shock is pressurized to support the stock weight of that particular vehicle.
Q. How does Vertical Doors, Inc. Compare to Imported Lambo Door kits?
A. Vertical Doors, Inc uses stronger steel, heat treat all pivot and strike points, Germany made shocks, detail instructions for most cars, Free Tech Support, in business for 10+ years, all hinges are USA made and USA patented.
Below is a video from "Quality Vertical Doors"
Note: We did not asked them to create the video, they were not compensated in any way shape or form for the video.